stuff like this happens when you fill out the “contact” form…

Here are some parts I made for another arcade game related project:

I believe this project involves adding an arcade style joystick and buttons to a PS3. These are 2 sets of parts. Some of these parts required a groove in their edge to accept a plastic “T” molding. The following picture shows a part before grooving on the left, a part after grooving on the right, and the special vacuum fixture in the middle. The vacuum pulls any warpage out of the parts, making sure the slot is perfectly centered all the way around.

On Monday he filled out my contact form and we exchanged some emails discussing details, Monday evening he stopped by with the material (5/8″ MDO plywood), and now (Thursday afternoon) he has precision cut parts ready to assemble. How cool is that?


mounting a small display

Here’s a job I did recently for someone building their own arcade style game unit. He had a cute little USB driven display that he wanted to use for stuff like game selection and to reset the main unit in case the software developed indigestion from an improperly handled exception or an interrupt gone wrong. This was the end result:

Here’s a pic of one of the standoffs I made to attach the mounting ears of the display to the front plate:

The gray stuff it’s embedded in is some scrap acrylic I used for a test cut. The next picture shows the back of the aluminum plate.

Since the standoffs were to be epoxied to the plate I made the base big for extra glue contact. I also made him a router template that he used to precisely cut the plywood parts. He sent me DXF’s output from Adobe Illustrator, which seems to be a favorite among game modders.

fun with HDPE

Interesting little parts made from HDPE. I probably shouldn’t tell what they’re for yet. This started out as a DXF file from an ancient version of Adobe Illustrator which was emailed and imported just fine.

A quick wave of the heat gets rid of a lot of the scuffing and scratching on the original surface of the sheet, much like flame polishing acrylic. The rounded over edges are easily done on the CNC router.

I wound up running these in 12″ by 24″ sheets that yielded 48 parts per sheet.